The pub was built in 1931 for the Kemp Town Brewery and retains many striking features. The refurbished saloon bar on the right has an original counter, elegant cupola ceiling, a fine brick and stone Tudor-style fireplace, half-height panelling and fixed seating. The pub’s middle snug was long ago combined with the left-side public bar at the point where the off-sales was situated.